Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm leavin' on a jet plane...

 The sentimentalist in me just chose as the font to this newly sculpted blog, "Georgia". I will now proceed to forget what a sap I am. 

In about 10 hours and 2 minutes (which undoubtedly will be significantly less by the time I finish this entry because I am currently trying to empty my folks DVR box of the episodes of my stories I've missed over the past week and a half before leaving, thus being a little distracted. Please don't judge.) I will be jumping on that big metal bird and flying off to, what is so lovingly referred to as, "paradise".  Although, all I've been hearing over the last four months is "Oh, that must be so terrible," and "How awful for you". Sarcastically of course, with a wink at me at the end of the statement. I know, I know...it's amazing! You don't have to tell me twice. But, despite it's beauty and excitement we, unlike tourists, have to work there for 3 1/2 years. But still, I'm not complaining :) It's going to be quite the adventure!

Another element of this adventure is that we are going on military orders. Although we've completed one duty station already (where does the time go?), we've never been through a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) and all that goes with it. The day the movers came in and took all our belongings away, just to sit in a wooden crate for 4 months, was just the beginning. But everything they've thrown our way, we've handled with grace...and a few choice words on Corey's part. Remember, he's a Sailor ;) 

And now we've reached the culmination of all the paperwork and phone calls and moving boxes, and we're actually ready to live in HAWAII!!! 

Corey made his arrival yesterday to the lovely island of Oahu. He said the flight was quite grueling, weighing in at a mean 10 hours and 10 minutes. But the nerd in me got some good news on that front, they are playing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 as a choice of an in-flight movie. (Yeah, I know...) 

He's been running around like a mad man getting checked in at the million-and-one offices that require a signature, picking up our car and scouting the area since he got there.  He sent me this picture today of the view outside our hotel window. 


This is Ford Island looking onto the harbor. Sadly, it's been a very rainy day on the island and it's still early in this picture. But I'll take it! 

Still getting used to the time change. Getting a phone call at 3 am when he was just getting settled down for the night was interesting. But my excitement for hearing all about what he was seeing and doing far surpassed the need for sleep. (One story inspired the name of this blog when Corey said "I haven't even been here a day yet and I've already seen 3 rainbows." Oh, and a play on my daddy's favorite song.) And we'll be adding another hour onto the time difference once the states that actually still observe daylight savings time (which I've stopped keeping up with) "spring forward". At least the phone calls between me and my folks will stay within a reasonable limit because they will only consist of the things they've done all day, because I won't have even had a day yet. (Just kidding Mama and Daddy, I'd talk to you till I was blue in the face.)

So, now it's my turn. I can't wait to get my feet on the ground over there and start this new chapter and experience all that it's going to bring with it, the good and the bad. Because in the military, there is always some bad with some good. Even for an eternal optimist like me. More often than not, things don't go the way you plan. In fact, you learn not to bet on anything. But I know I can bet on the fact that Corey is still Corey and I am still me, even 5,000 miles away. And there's always an adventure where we're concerned. 


So here we go! See y'all in paradise!




(And for anyone who may have been keeping a running count on the level of my distraction...we're down to 8 hours and 55 minutes.)

1 comment:

  1. all the best to you guys!!!
    Can't wait to hear about the island... :)

    ReplyDelete